Now back to topic at hand, In the grim future of 40K we have unit that have unit that can dish out incredible firepower, unit that are swift that can maneuver around the battlefield and powerful monster or elites that can murder anything they touches. Regardless no matter how powerful your forces are without your troops its all for nothing. They are your unsung heroes (unless its a KP) holding the objective while withstanding the nastiest thing that touches them.
Salute them or you cant play without them anyway since you need like 2 of them to play a legal 40K game anyway.. LOL
So the criteria of a troop choice differ from the other units in your forces. They generally must be able to survive long enough to secure an objective, flexible in their option to support any army that you desire, and also tough enough to at least fend for themselves incase if they are under attack. They must be cost effective as after all you want to be spending more points on more powerful units.
So without futher ado, I shall present the 5 best troop choice.
No.5 Space Marine Scouts
These guys are more flexible than Tactical Space Marine. The five men squad can be equip with a heavy weapon, any model may pick a shotgun, CCW or sniper for free and come with variety of option.
- Lots of option.
- Sniper scouts + Cloaks + Missile launcher = nasty long range shots in safety of 3+ cover safe or 2+ if going to ground.
- Can infiltrate and scout + Shotgun and CCW = in your face assault at turn 1.
- vulnerable to prolong close combat attack and weapon that ignore cover safe e.g heavy flamer.
No.4 Eldar Dire Avengers
With the Eldar skimmer cheese builds. The Dire Avengers are their troops of choice. As they complement every cheese that Eldar farseer fortune, doom, and guide.
- 5+ Invul safe from Exarch
- Bladestorm (3 shot per unit Shuriken)+ Guide( reroll hit) + Doom(reroll wound) = Victim with alot of wounds. then skimmer can taxi them away.
- Defend (-1 attack per assault phase) which can tarpit enemy into submission.
- Without their beloved farseer and skimmer. They are pretty much screwed.
No.3 Grey Hunters
These guys are the Space Wolve bread and butter. They have points option like Chaos Space Marine. They are cheap by default(15 pts per model) and they have option to have their 2nd special weapon free of charge if they are ten men strong. They also have counterattack so be wary when assault them.
- Massing whole lot of them with meltagun and plasmagun along with your wolf guards can be some serious shit storm.
- cheap by most space marine standard
- Assault by eitier way is nasty ( Base 1 attack + CCW and bolt pistol 1 attack + charge or counterattack 1 attack = 3 attack per unit!!)
- Low base leadership (8) weak against anything that require a leadership test. Cowardice are punish in the Space Puppies ranks.
No.2 Chaos Plague Marine
Papa Nurgle be praise!! This pus boys are like one of the ideal troop choice that one can ever field. High survivability and extremely tough. They can carry 2 special weapon regardless of squad size.
-Toughness 5 making them durable against small arms.
-Feel no pain making any high ap weapon even tougher to murder them.
-Two meltagun and one powerfist make them deadly warrior for those unprepared.
-Fearless, They no way you making them leaving the objective.
-Blight Grenades denying all your enemies their beloved +1 attack MUAHAHAHA!!
- Low initiative with only 3, Can die from sea of high initiative power attacks.
Now Number 1!!!
No.1 Blood Angel Assault Squad
You may ask why Blood Angel assault space marine. I tell you they are by far very flexible in option and can be molded to any combat strategies you desire. Whether you want to go mass DOA( Decent of angel) or Mech( Mechanize) or Mass power armor they can do it. The very codex itself have many things that can support them. Although they do not have the high survivability like plague marine but they make up in options. What separate them than the assault squad in all the other Space Marine codex is they can carry meltagun and are basically troop choice.
-Decent of Angel (reroll reserve + 1D6 scatter for deepstrike)
-Discard jump pack and get discount Land Raider, Razorback or Rhino.
- Can be accompany by Sanguine Priest hence have feel no pain and furious charge.
- Can get meltagun and infernus pistol.
- Can ride in Stormraven Gunship with jump packs
- Red thist( 16.667% chance of fearless and furious charge)
- Survivalbiltiy not as good as a plague marine but pretty good for a average marine if given Sanguine Priest.